- Over 38 years of professional experience.
- A proven track record of 27 years as a senior manager and an executive.
- Successful completion of over 225 consulting projects.
HCS & Kerry A. Jothen – “Maximizing returns on investments in talent”
“Kerry has an unrivalled knowledge of the field and a research approach and methodology that is second-to-none. Recently, I was a member of an HCS-led team on a major project and was amazed by Kerry’s leadership, work ethic and high standard of performance.” (Dr. James Rae, Principal, Scipio Consultants Ltd., former partner, WCG International Ltd.)
Kerry has 38 years of experience in various human capital roles, including the last 15 years as CEO of Human Capital Strategies (HCS) and over 4 years as CEO of the Industry Training & Apprenticeship Commission (ITAC). As a workforce advisor and strategist on more than 225 consulting projects, Kerry recognizes that in order to succeed today, organizations need a strong, innovative and flexible talent strategy to directly support and actualize their business plans.
As a recognized BC leader in global talent mobility, human capital, talent development and labour market research, Kerry has led the development and implementation of major multi-stakeholder workforce initiatives with business – including Fortune 500 companies and major business groups – government, immigrant, educational, First Nations and other organizations to address complex human resource challenges and needs.
Much of Kerry’s work has involved diversity research and developing strategies to support the training and employment of Aboriginal people, immigrants, visible minorities and persons with disabilities – from addressing employment barriers to connecting with employers.
Kerry has advised and developed and executed strategic plans and workforce strategies for several industries in B.C., including clean energy, construction, forestry, manufacturing, mining, oil and natural gas, public sector, screen-based media, technology, tourism and trucking. In doing this, he has worked closely with governing directors, executive teams and stakeholders.
In his workforce advising capacity, Kerry has chaired and/or participated on several key committees since starting HCS. These include the following examples:
- Member, Premier’s LNG Working Group Gap Analysis Sub-Committee and Data Sub-Committee
- Member, Employment, Education & Training Sub-Committee, BC LNG Alliance
- Co-Chair, BC Jobs, Mobility and Apprenticeship Working Group, BC LNG Alliance
- Chair, BC Solid Wood Human Resource Committee
- Co-Chair, Human Capital Task Force, and member, Vancouver Board of Trade
- Project Manager, BC Shipbuilding and Ship Repair Board
- Project Manager, BC Screen-Based Industry Human Resources Committee
- Chair, BC Shipbuilding and Repair Human Resources Committee
- Chair, Sea-to-Sky Human Resources Committee
- Chair, 2010 Winter Games Human Resources Planning Committee
Kerry has held several senior management positions within the B.C. government along with faculty and administrative positions at four B.C. post-secondary institutions. Kerry has a B.A. in Psychology from Simon Fraser University and an M.A. in Adult Education from University of British Columbia.
In 2012, Kerry received a Vancouver Board of Trade “Certificate of Merit for Volunteer Appreciation,” and in 2013 he was conferred an Honorary Membership “For leadership in promoting Technology Education and Skills in British Columbia” by the Applied Science Technologists and Technicians of B.C. Volunteer mentor to newcomers through the Immigrant Employment Council of BC’s MentorConnect program
For more details, see Kerry’s LinkedIn profile.